Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Nagpur Diaries - 2

I can safely say that the heat is getting on my nerves now. The mornings are tolerable but the evenings are the worst. Nagpur is too hot for me and it is just my second day here.

I have come to teach in a school in Nagpur and there are teachers who are not only from the same school but also from neighbouring school. This is an initiative of CBSE to develop the faculty's knowledge. I really admire the men is to women ratio in my class. It is almost 50:50. 18 female teachers and 16 male teachers. This is a proof that we are disproving the stereotype that usually women go for teaching job.

The teachers are all teaching computer science. The 50% male and 50% female ratio breaks another stereotype that men are better in computers than women. There are no bounds to what us women can achieve and it is very commendable to note how far we have come in the 21st century. Nagpur is not a big city in India and these kind of ratios give us high hopes for the women of our country.

I always like to teach females more than males not because I am biased but because females are much easier to handle when it comes to controlling 34 adults. I am much younger to most of the participants here and hence sometimes it becomes an ego hassle with the male teachers to cooperate with me.

I always have some favourite teachers in classes and this time too I have one. She is my favourite teacher because she has the eagerness to learn and enthusiasm for life. She has recently given birth and how I know this is from the wet patch on her clothes over her breasts. I feel it requires a lot of courage to come back to work so quickly after child birth that your breast can't stop leaking fluids. I feel she has to be given a prize or something as I can never imagine doing something like that myself.

Kudos to her...I am feeling very proud to be a women today...

No comments:

Post a Comment