Monday, August 24, 2015

Nagpur diaries -1

When I started my day in Nagpur today, I thought what a pleasant climate this city has. But as it is going towards the end of the day, it is getting hotter and hotter. It is rainy season and there is no sign of rains at all. 

I have come to teach in a school called Bhavan's B.P. Vidya Mandir. It is quite a respectable school established in 1995 if I remember. I have come here as a trainer from Oracle to teach SQL to teachers from schools, in and around Nagpur. As I am the trainer, I am being treated as a royalty. 

The day started with a small inauguration function and the chief guest was HOD computer science of Ramdeobaba college of engineering, a trustee of the school and me. I always feel very shy in these kind of situations. I especially feel shy when I am asked to light the traditional lamp. It is by far the most awkward moment one can be in. You have to not only light the lamp but also pose appropriately for the camera and also clap appropriately when someone else is doing the deed. 

When I was a student I used to get so bored in these functions. And now as an adult ( although I don't feel adult at all) I have to be a part of the programme and also perform impromptu speaking in front of at least 40 people. The first time I had to speak was probably the most difficult one and I had a long speech prepared for the occasion. Since then I have become a pro and can give a speech any time I want. 

I always try to keep the speeches short and also entertaining. I don't like to bore people and try very hard to be sarcastically funny. Funny comes easy to me and today also I proved to be effective and at the same time be funny. Suddenly I sound like I am trying to impress someone. 

After the speeches were over, all the guests were given bouquets. The receiving and smiling at the camera while getting the bouquet is fun but what do you do with it as soon as you sit down. The bouquet was so large that it was covering me up completely. Thank goodness for Vice Principal who rescued my face by taking the flowers away and letting the photographer get some more clicks of my pretty face. 

Today's class has been quite successful. 4 more days to go. I hope me and the 34 others learning from me will survive this training and come out with flying colours,

No comments:

Post a Comment