Sunday, August 23, 2015

My Airport Experience

I might have mentioned it earlier that I am a keen observer of human behaviour, so today I thought of sharing my observations of people in an airport. Why today of all day you ask? Because, today I flew to Nagpur from Mumbai in Jet Airways ( a big shout out to my favourite airlines).

The first thing you will notice outside the airport are people who are travelling somewhere and people who have come to drop someone travelling somewhere. You can quickly distinguish between a frequent traveller and a not so frequent traveller. Frequent traveller usually take taxis to the airport as opposed to the others whose entire family come to the airport to see them off.

There is another difference between the two and that is the size of the luggage. Frequent travellers are usually going on a business trip and don't carry unnecessary luggages. They also always web check-in so that they don't have to wait in long lines for the luggage check-in. I too am a frequent flyer but I hate to carry my luggage with me to the cabin. It's because I can never decide how many clothes to carry and I always end up carrying more than I should and need and hence I am always way above the permissible weight allowed for cabin luggage.

Although I am bad at packing but I am not as bad as the non frequent flying families. I always try to avoid families in the airport, especially the one which has more than 5 members in their pack. They always have the most number of luggages as if they are moving altogether and always fight with the poor people working for the airlines when their luggage exceeds the maximum carrying capacity. When the luggage is too heavy, this means they have to pay for the extra weight, which means that they would do either of the two things. Some would just pay and these are the wealthy people and some would try to reduce the weight of the suitcase by taking their clothes out so that they wouldn't have to pay never mind the long line of frustrated people waiting for their turn.

Then another difference is the way these two act at the security check-in. Frequent flyers know their way and will never have any problem with the CISF officers. The non frequent flyer is always carrying something in their hand luggage which is not allowed in the cabin like scissors or a big bottle of water. Once I had seen a lady carrying 5 bottles of water in her purse. I am sure she must be really thirsty or probably didn't trust the water at 39,000 feet high.

After the security check-in is over, you will find the frequent flyers always hanging around the gate of their flight and they would also be the first in line to get in the flight. On the other hand, the non frequent flyers are always busy shopping or eating at the terminal. They get so engrossed in other activities that they some time miss their flights.

Once inside the flight the frequent flyers start asking for water, pillow, blanket or checking in their jackets or pushing their seats behind . Never mind the others who are trying to find their seats through the narrow aisles of the flight, dodging the flight attendants who are trying to fulfil all the wishes of the pretentious frequent flyers. The non frequent flyers are not as bad. They don't move a muscle once they are in their seat as they are very shy of the pretty air hostesses and try very hard not to make a fool of themselves in front of them.

Holly Cow!!! This small blog is slowly turning into a book. I guess I will write a sequel to this blog sharing how people act inside a flight. Ciao!!!






No comments:

Post a Comment